Saving with Solar in Manitoba
Manitoba encourages its residents to use solar to reduce their power consumption. While the province enjoys clean generation from Hydro plants, the supply is limited. As needs grow province wide, expensive upgrades and new generation will be needed. Manitoba Hydro would like customers to reduce power consumption, and considers self-generation from solar a key to its future.
Solar installations, whether on a residential roof, ground mounted on a acreage, or on commercial roofs, produce power for its owners at costs close to buying utility power now. If the power is not needed during the day, it can be exported back to Manitoba Hydro as part of their Net Metering program, for a credit. The customer then uses this credit against power used at night, or during the winter.
What’s in it for Manitoba customers?
- Control of current power costs: A solar system can produce 20 to 100% of the annual power needed to run a home. With the incentives the electricity off the roof is close to the same as buying power from Manitoba Hydro. Add future rate increase and the solar electricity gets cheaper every year.
- Investment: A solar system typically yields 5-10% rate of return on the cash invested. Since solar systems last 30 years or more, it’s like a long term GIC. Commercial customers can take advantage of Class 43.2 Accelerated Capital Cost Allowance for an even better rate return.
- No cash? Use the Manitoba Residential Earth Power Loan to add the solar costs to your monthly electrical bill. This can be paid off at any time.
- Empowerment: Now you are in control of your own power. Rising costs will not affect you in the same way. Plan for lower costs when you retire, and enhance the value of your property
Manitoba Hydro Support Programs:
Launched in 2016, The Manitoba Hydro Solar Program has incentives to help homes and businesses install solar to reduce their consumption of utility power. The overall goal is to defer the need for Manitoba to add generation facilities, and solar is clean, reliable and empowers residents to take control of the power.
The incentives include:
- $1 watt rebate offered to customers after their solar systems are installed and approved. Typical systems are 3000 to 20000 watts, so the rebates range from $3000 to $20,000, approximately 25 to 30% of the costs of the system. Learn more about the Manitoba Hydro Solar Energy Program here
- Residential loans for 100% of the system costs, up to $30,000 and at 4.9%. Learn more about the Residential Earth Power Loan here
Benefits of customer owned generation can include:
- Lower monthly costs
- Enhanced property value
- 100% green energy
Manitoba Solar Potential
HES-GT-2.5 and 5.0
The HES-GT-2.5 and HES-GT-5.0 have everything you need to add grid-tie solar to your home. The powerful 2.5 and 5kW rooftop solar systems feature HES Solar modules – a reliable brand name you can trust to deliver rated power for decades. Our systems include high efficiency Fronius, SolarEdge or Enphase inverters. Online performance monitoring is also available.
Ground Mount Solar
If you own property, but do not have the roof space for a larger solar system, consider the HES-PV 2-Tiered racking system. Now you can place the solar panels anywhere with good solar exposure. The system mounts on concrete or wooden posts, and is expandable in 2kW increments. Great for offsetting consumption of homes and businesses in rural areas.
HES has the experience to ensure the timely and successful design of PV power systems. Our staff has successfully designed over 5MW of systems for Utility owned FIT Sites, Rural farming properties, First Nations Development Projects, and many other PV based projects throughout Canada. Our experience includes many FIT, net metered, industrial and telecom projects.