Saving with Solar in Alberta
Alberta encourages its residents to use solar to reduce their power consumption. As needs grow province wide, expensive upgrades and new cleaner generation will be needed. Alberta utilities would like customers to reduce power consumption, and considers self-generation from solar a key to its future.
Solar installations, whether on a residential roof, ground mounted on a acreage, or on commercial roofs, produce power for its owners at costs close to buying utility power now. If the power is not needed during the day, it can be exported back to utility as part of their Micro-gen program, for a credit. The customer then uses this credit against power used at night, or during the winter.
What’s in it for Alberta customers?
- Control of current power costs: A solar system can produce 20 to 100% of the annual power needed to run a home. With the incentives the electricity off the roof is close to the same as buying power from Alberta utilities. Add future rate increase and the solar electricity gets cheaper every year.
- Investment: A solar system typically yields 5-10% rate of return on the cash invested. Since solar systems last 30 years or more, it’s like a long term GIC.
- Commercial customers can take advantage of Class 43.2 Accelerated Capital Cost Allowance for an even better rate return..
- Empowerment: Now you are in control of your own power. Rising costs will not affect you in the same way. Plan for lower costs when you retire, and enhance the value of your property
Alberta Support Programs:
Launched in 2017, The Alberta Residential Commercial Solar Program has incentives to help homes and businesses install solar to reduce their consumption of utility power. The overall goal is to defer the need for Alberta to add generation facilities, and solar is clean, reliable and empowers residents to take control of the power.
The incentives include:
- $0.75 watt rebate offered to customers after their solar systems are installed and approved. Typical systems are 3000 to 20000 watts, so the rebates range from $3000 to $20,000, approximately 25 to 30% of the costs of the system. Learn more about the Alberta Solar Energy Program here
How Alberta Residents lock in their Electrical Rate at 4.5 cents/kWh for 30+ Years?
Solar Alberta At a Glance
Cost of Energy
Solar for 4.5 cents per Kilowatt-hour?
On an average 1300 kWh energy is generated per kW installed in Alberta.
4kW System x 1300 kWh = 5200 kWh/year
Our Solar Panels have 30+ year lifespan and a 25 Year Warranty.
30 Years x 5200 kWh = 156,000 kWh
An average canadian household installs about 4kW System.
$7000 / 156,000 kWh = 4.5 cents / kWh
Benefits of customer owned generation can include:
- Lower monthly costs
- Enhanced property value
- 100% green energy
Alberta Solar Potential
Saving with Solar in Alberta through the Residential and Commercial Solar Program
Alberta's residential and commercial solar program is available for customers with electricity service and properties located in Alberta. The open date for the program is June 2017 with systems dating back to April 15th 2107 to be grandfathered into the program.
The residential solar program will provide an incentive rate of $0.75 per-Watt for systems up to 15kW in size. For residential customers, incentives will be limited to the lesser of 30% of eligible system costs or $10,000. The commercial/not-for-profit solar program will provide an incentive rate of $0.75 per-Watt for systems up to 5MW in size. For commercial and non-profit customers, incentives will be limited to the lesser of 25% of eligible system costs or $500,000.
HES-GT-2.5 and 5.0
The HES-GT-2.5 and HES-GT-5.0 have everything you need to add grid-tie solar to your home. The powerful 2.5 and 5kW rooftop solar systems feature HES Solar modules – a reliable brand name you can trust to deliver rated power for decades. Our systems include high efficiency Fronius, SolarEdge or Enphase inverters. Online performance monitoring is also available.
Ground Mount Solar
If you own property, but do not have the roof space for a larger solar system, consider the HES-PV 2-Tiered racking system. Now you can place the solar panels anywhere with good solar exposure. The system mounts on concrete or wooden posts, and is expandable in 2kW increments. Great for offsetting consumption of homes and businesses in rural areas.
HES has the experience to ensure the timely and successful design of PV power systems. Our staff has successfully designed over 5MW of systems for Utility owned FIT Sites, Rural farming properties, First Nations Development Projects, and many other PV based projects throughout Canada. Our experience includes many FIT, net metered, industrial and telecom projects.