Saving with Solar in Prince Edward Island
PEI encourages its residents to use solar to reduce their power consumption. While the province enjoys clean generation from Hydro plants, the supply is limited. As needs grow province wide, expensive upgrades and new generation will be needed. PEI Hydro would like customers to reduce power consumption, and considers self-generation from solar a key to their future. Solar installations, whether on a residential roof, ground mounted on a acreage, or on commercial roofs, produce power for its owners at costs close to buying utility power now. If the power is not needed during the day, it can be exported back to your PEI Hydro as part of their Net Metering program, for a credit. The customer then uses this credit against power used at night, or during the winter.
How does it work?
Electricity sent to the grid is banked and applied to your current month’s electricity consumption. Any excess electricity is carried over to the following month and applied against that month’s consumption. A credit appears on your monthly bill showing the net amount of electricity that has been banked. Your excess power should be used within the year; if not, at the end of 12 months on your net metering anniversary date you will receive a financial credit from PEI Hydro.
What’s in it for PEI customers?
- Control of current power costs: A solar system can produce 20 to 100% of the annual power needed to run a home. With the incentives the electricity off the roof it is close to the same as buying power from PEI Hydro. Add future rate increase and the solar electricity gets cheaper every year.
- Investment: A solar system typically yields 5-10% rate of return on the cash invested. Since solar systems last 30 years or more, it’s like a long term GIC. Commercial customers can take advantage of Class 43.2 Accelerated Capital Cost Allowance for an even better rate return.
- Empowerment: Now you are in control of your own power. Rising costs will not affect you in the same way. Plan for lower costs when you retire, and enhance the value of your property.
- Learn more about the PEI Hydro's Net Metering Program here-->
- Learn more about the rules and regulations of PEI Hydro's Net Metering Program here-->
- Obtain the required electrical permits and building permits (where required) including approvals required under the bylaws of the city, town or municipality where the installation occurs;
- Apply to PEI Hydro for a Net Metering Interconnection-->,
- Install your renewable electricity generating equipment.
- Provide proof that your solar installation has passed inspection by PEI Safety Authority, and sign the Net Metering Interconnection Agreement.
- PEI Hydro will activate the backflow setting on your smart meter to log the power that you sent back to the utility, and your Net Metering Solar System is complete.
Interested in learning more about using solar to offset your home's energy consumption? Read some Frequently Asked Questions about Grid-Tie and residential solar.
HES-GT-2.5 and 5.0
The HES-GT-2.5 and HES-GT-5.0 have everything you need to add grid-tie solar to your home. The powerful 2.5 and 5kW rooftop solar systems feature HES Solar modules – a reliable brand name you can trust to deliver rated power for decades. Our systems include high efficiency Fronius, SolarEdge or Enphase inverters. Online performance monitoring is also available.
Ground Mount Solar
If you own property, but do not have the roof space for a larger solar system, consider the HES-PV 2-Tiered racking system. Now you can place the solar panels anywhere with good solar exposure. The system mounts on concrete or wooden posts, and is expandable in 2kW increments. Great for offsetting consumption of homes and businesses in rural areas.
HES has the experience to ensure the timely and successful design of PV power systems. Our staff has successfully designed over 5MW of systems for Utility owned FIT Sites, Rural farming properties, First Nations Development Projects, and many other PV based projects throughout Canada. Our experience includes many FIT, net metered, industrial and telecom projects.